Thursday 7 June 2012

Such a Winter's Day!

Brrr, the cold has set in with a vengeance!

I'm freezing my fingers and toes off, and recent snow falls actually settled on the Peninsula.



Sounds like the perfect time to learn lacework, right?

(Hey, I never claimed to be logical!)

The wonderful Vivian at Knitting Squad taught a mini-workshop on Wednesday where we made little lacy Christmas angels, to teach the basics of knitted lacework to those who wanted to learn.

Ta-dah!


Recognise the yarn? XD I'm so ridiculously proud of this little pink-punk angel, Dralion loves her too. Or maybe it's the bell she's holding? With cats it's anybody's guess!

Next week we will be doing the bigger pattern, and I can't wait. I want to be able to follow a lace chart on my own so I can turn this wonderful yarn I found in Oamaru into a lovely lacy wrap for going to my partner's formal-type functions. (He seems to have a lot of things like that)

This is the yarn, a laceweight Kid Mohair&Merino made by Touch Yarns:


It looks and feels AMAZING! I'm so incredibly excited about this project that the provisional cast-on it requires (a technique which intimidates the stuffing out of me) seems like nothing more than a speed-bump.

Also: The skein was approximately 900m and I wound it by hand instead of resorting to my ball-winder. I definitely appreciate those time-saving gizmos a lot more now!

Happy crafting!

~Topaz

1 comment:

  1. I just checked out Accuweather for your town. I can't believe how cold it has been there and so early, too! I guess it's normal for Otago this time of year, though. We've had a nasty cold front here and it's been cold an wet, but nothing like what you have to contend with! Eep!

    That little angel is adorable! I bet 'Miss Kitty' is just dying to pounce on it! Sneaky devil!

    I lovelovelove that pink/purple yarn! I still can't believe you wound all 900m of it! WOW!!! Can't wait to see what it turns into! Thinking warm thoughts for you! Much love. :)

    ReplyDelete